The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) is offering a certificate in controlled substance diversion for technicians. I have not seen the content of the curriculum, but I do often see gaps in knowledge on the part of pharmacy staff concerning drug diversion. This certificate might be a great way to provide comprehensive education for your technicians in the areas of:
- Consequences of diversion
- Signs of impaired health-care workers
- Areas of vulnerability in procurement, preparation and dispensing, prescribing, administration and waste/removal processes
- Types and functions of security control measures, devices, and software to detect and prevent diversion
- DEA requirements for registration, record keeping and conducting physical inventories
- Identifying suspicious data patterns, product tampering, and fraudulent prescriptions.
Click here to read more about the certificate. I think it might be worth checking out.