In a previous blog, I talked about involving the Infection Preventionist in diversion of injectable medications because of their expertise in disease transmission and the public health impact. Should there be a case of disease transmission from an employee to a patient, does your facility have the following?
- written protocols for launching a large response that would include:
- obtaining patient contact information
- writing notification letters
- orchestrating testing including writing the orders for testing
- determining payment for testing
- monitoring positive results
- setting up a hotline for the public to call with questions
It is a daunting task and one that most facilities probably never need to do, but when you do, having procedures in place to do it will be very beneficial.
If there is anyone out there who has gone through this process and is willing to share their experience and lessons learned, please reach out so we can connect.